Almonte in Lanark County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Dr. James Naismith
This is the boyhood home of James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. Born in a house which formerly stood on this lot, he entered McGill University in 1883 where he was active in athletics. In 1890 Naismith graduated in theology from Presbyterian College, Montréal, and subsequently enrolled in the International Y.M.C.A. training school (now Springfield College) in Massachusetts. There was a need for a competitive team sport that could be played indoors during the winter months, and, there, in December 1891, Naismith devised a game, played under thirteen basic rules, with a ball and two round baskets. He directed physical education at the University of Kansas for thirty-six years and died at Lawrence, Kansas.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 45° 14.503′ N, 76° 13.916′ W. Marker is in Almonte, Ontario, in Lanark County. Marker is on County Road 29, 0.1 kilometers north of James Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4968 County Road 29, Almonte ON K0A 1A0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Tait McKenzie (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); The Mill of Kintail and Robert Tait McKenzie (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); The Rosamonds in Almonte (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Mississippi River Improvement Company (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Former Almonte Post Office (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); The Founding of Almonte (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); "Auld Kirk" 1836 (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Founding of Carleton Place (approx. 13.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Almonte.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - James Naismith. (Submitted on June 6, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.