Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gowanda in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gowanda Historic Site

 
 
Gowanda Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, June 6, 2017
1. Gowanda Historic Site Marker
Inscription.  GOWANDA HISTORIC SITE. The village of Gowanda, incorporated in 1848, is located in two counties, Cattaraugus and Erie, divided by the Cattaraugus Creek. It was first called Aldrich Mills, and later Lodi. The first settler in 1810 was Turner Aldrich, a pioneer merchant. Elisha Henry had a store and house on this site which burned in the great fire of 1856.

Debbie Case, of the Cattaraugus Cutlery Case family, married H.N. Platts. With his father, Charles Platts, they established C. Platts & Sons Cutlery Works here in 1898. They were famous for making quality pocket knives. The building was purchased in 1910 by Charles Sipple for a car agency. This property was generously donated to the Village in 1987 by Donald and Frederick Campbell who started a Red and White Grocery on the premises in 1944.
 
Erected 1988 by Gowanda Village Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 42° 27.806′ N, 78° 56.056′ W. Marker is in Gowanda
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Legion Drive and East Main Street (U.S. 62), on the left when traveling south on Legion Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gowanda NY 14070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gowanda Shrine Club No.1 (a few steps from this marker); Bell Huey UH-1H Helicopter (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel Thomas Jefferson Parker (about 400 feet away); Ahaz Allen (approx. 1.3 miles away); “Taylor Tract” (approx. 1.8 miles away); Town of Perrysburg (approx. 3.4 miles away); Tree With Bank Account (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Lincoln Maple (approx. 7˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gowanda.
 
Gowanda Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, June 6, 2017
2. Gowanda Historic Site Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104217

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024