Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hamilton Park Community

 
 
Hamilton Park CommunityTexas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 13, 2017
1. Hamilton Park CommunityTexas Historical Marker
Inscription.  Located ten miles north of downtown Dallas, the African American community of Hamilton Park began as the White Rock Farming Settlement. In the 1940s and 1950s, racial violence in the South Dallas community of Queen City and the discriminatory displacement of African American residents for the new Love Field Municipal Airport resulted in the need for many of these families to move outside of the downtown area. In response, Jerome Crossman, a local oilman, compelled the Dallas Citizens' Interracial Association (DCIA) to locate land in North Dallas for the project and consulted philanthropist Karl S.J. Hoblitzelle for funding. On February 13, 1953, the Hoblitzelle Foundation lent DCIA funds to purchase acreage to address the housing shortage of African Americans.

Named for Dr. Richard Theodore Hamilton, an influential voice in the African American Equality movement in Dallas, the Hamilton Park Community was the first African American suburban development in Dallas. Intentionally planned in two phases with the segregated twelve-grade school at the center and each street named for prominent African American individuals and institutions, the

Hamilton Park CommunityMarker in front of Hamilton Park Pacesetter Magnet School image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 13, 2017
2. Hamilton Park CommunityMarker in front of Hamilton Park Pacesetter Magnet School
Click or scan to see
this page online
community officially opened in 1954. By 1958, many homes built near the school were complete and middle-class families began to move in with the community complete by 1961 with 741 single-family homes. In addition to the school, the community included three churches, a shopping center, and park, complete with a swimming pool, tennis court, basketball court, pavilion and playground. Since the 1950s, the Hamilton Park Civic League has served the community residents, connecting them with City of Dallas resources, encouraging voter registration and turnout, and planning community events. This sense of community and pride among residents helps preserve the heritage and legacy of the original homeowners. (2016)

Marker is property of the State of Texas
 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18581.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCivil Rights. A significant historical year for this entry is 1954.
 
Location. 32° 55.017′ N, 96° 45.574′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Towns St. and Bellafonte Dr., on the right when traveling west on Towns St.. This marker stands in front of the Hamilton Park Pacesetter Magnet School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8301 Towns St, Dallas TX 75243, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); McKamy Spring (approx. 2.2 miles away); Wheeler School (approx. 2˝ miles away); Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Richardson (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
 
Regarding Hamilton Park Community. The dedication ceremony for this marker was held at 2:00PM May 13, 2017.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104246

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2021