Pendleton in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Pendleton
Pendleton’s first Library Association was formed in 1877. Subscribers paid $5 each for one of 200 association shares.
In 1906, 18 community residents formed the Independent Social Club. Each read a book, they brought it to a meeting. Members exchanged books until everyone had read them all. The library grew to 150 volumes, which were loaned to non-members at five cents a week. The library was located in Tanke’s Drug Store.
Mrs. Sarah Skillen Cook and her fellow club members saw the possibility of building a library and approached Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Foundation, which agreed to give $8,000 if the town would guarantee $800 per year for upkeep. Thomas M. Hardy, Sr. donated land for the library. A tax was levied to provide the local match.
The Pendleton and Fall Creek Public Township Public Library was dedicated on March 1, 1912. The Major Henry G.A.R. Post donated 84 volumes of war history. The Saturday Club gave 110 volumes. Churches, clubs, other organizations, and individuals donated liberally.
Margaret Wade of the Anderson Public Library organized the Pendleton
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries series list.
Location. 40° 0.081′ N, 85° 44.426′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East State Street and High Street, on the right when traveling east on East State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 E State St, Pendleton IN 46064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pendleton Town Hall Explosion (approx. ¼ mile away); Falls Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Falls (approx. 0.4 miles away); Three White Men Were Hung Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); Abolitionists Mobbed (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indians Murdered 1824 (approx. Bicentennial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Massacre of Indians (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Additional keywords. Carnegie Library
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.