Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Gage House

 

— Port Gibson Historic Tour —

 
Gage House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Gage House Marker
Inscription.  602 Church. Ca. 1830-50 Federal/Greek Revival. One of the two remaining examples of this architectural style in Claiborne County. Double galleries have modified Tuscan colonnettes. The brick dependency possibly predated the home.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNotable Buildings.
 
Location. 31° 57.619′ N, 90° 58.926′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (U.S. 61) and Fair Street, on the right when traveling south on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McDougall House (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Gibson (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Englesing Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Gage House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. Gage House
Click or scan to see
this page online
Shreve House (about 400 feet away); Brashear Academy (about 400 feet away); Guthrie Home (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
 
Regarding Gage House. A colonnette is a small, thin column, especially one used to support an arcade.
 
Gage House ca. 1936 image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
3. Gage House ca. 1936
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104368

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 25, 2022