Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Since 1842 / Since 1858

 

— The Kentucky School for the Blind —

 
Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 19, 2017
1. Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker
Inscription.  
Since 1842
The Kentucky School for the Blind, third such state supported school in US. Dr. Samuel G. Howe of Boston, pioneer educator of blind, invited to Kentucky to give public demonstration with his own pupils. Displayed before Ky. Legislature and in Louisville demonstrating they could be trained for useful life, “free from crushing weight of dependence, ever their lot.”

( back )
Since 1858
American Printing House for the Blind, oldest non-profit agency for blind in US and largest publishing house for blind in world. Since 1879, the official school-book printery for all such students in US. The only institution devoted solely to publishing literature and developing and manufacturing manual aids for them.
 
Erected 1970 by Kentucky Historical Society · Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1336.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable Places. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location.
Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 19, 2017
2. Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
38° 15.372′ N, 85° 42.865′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Frankfort Avenue and Stoll Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Frankfort Avenue. Located in front of the Kentucky School For The Blind. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville KY 40206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kentucky School for the Blind (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Frederick Geiger / Early Butchertown (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Frances of Rome School / Sisters of Charity of Nazareth (approx. half a mile away); St. Frances of Rome Church / Catholic & Clifton History (approx. half a mile away); A National Cemetery System (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cave Hill National Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Augustus E. Willson (1846-1931) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nathaniel Wolfe (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
 
Also see . . .
1. Kentucky School for the Blind. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Kentucky School for the Blind on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 19, 2017
3. Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker
Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 19, 2017
4. Since 1842 / Since 1858 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104425

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021