Blairs in Pittsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number L-61.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 36° 41.291′ N, 79° 22.081′ W. Marker is in Blairs, Virginia, in Pittsylvania County. Marker is on Business U.S. 29 south of Lawless Creek Road (County Route 719). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blairs VA 24527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. POW-MIA Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); POW★MIA (approx. 3.2 miles away); Bright-Leaf Tobacco Barns (approx. 4˝ miles away); North Danville (approx. 6˝ miles away); Frederick Delius Wreck of the Old 97 (approx. 6˝ miles away); Mills Along The Dan (approx. 6.8 miles away); Whitmell P. Tunstall (approx. 7 miles away).
Regarding Beavers Tavern. The tavern is no longer standing.
Also see . . . Beavers Tavern: The Beginnings of Blairs, Virginia. 1989 article by Henry H. Mitchell on VictorianVilla.com. There is a photo of the house on this page. Excerpt: “According to historian Maud Carter Clement, around 1800 plantation owner Major William Beavers and his wife Elizabeth established a tavern at this location which became well-known for its comfort and hospitality, and for the gentility of its hosts—in contrast to the typical rather crude roadside accommodations typically available. Sen. John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, stopping over on his way to and from Washington, was one of the Beavers’ most famous guests. Researcher Danny Ricketts believes that there is significant evidence that Beavers Tavern actually began operation in 1815 at Beavers property nearer the town of Danville (see Ricketts’ Beavers Tavern webpage), and that the tavern was moved to the Blairs property ca. 1830.” (Submitted on June 17, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.