Olton in Lamb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse
First county officials were: Judge H. R. Miller; Commissioners, J. A. Hooper (Precinct No. 1), Claude E. Halsell (No. 2), G. M. Arnett (No. 3), Walter Sullivan (No. 4); sheriff, Herb Dickenson; clerk, George Gallaway; treasurer, Fred Schreier; assessor, Luther Williams.
A new courthouse of brick and concrete was built here, 1922-23. After a 1946 election, the county seat was removed to Littlefield.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4930.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 34° 10.858′ N, 102° 8.087′ W. Marker is in Olton, Texas, in Lamb County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Avenue and 8th Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Avenue. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Olton TX 79064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Olton's Union Church Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quanah Parker Trail (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church of Olton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lamb County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Halfway (approx. 10˝ miles away); Lamb County Sand Hills (approx. 10˝ miles away); One of the Trails of Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie (approx. 11.8 miles away); Center Plains Community (approx. 12.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Olton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.