The Widow Earsley
Erected in 1923 by the former and present residents of the Town of Caroline as a memorial in honor of the Widow Earsley as the first pioneer settler. She came on horseback into this New York wilderness, purchased one hundred acres of land, and built a log cabin on this site in 1794 as a future home for herself and ten children.
Erected 1923 by the Former and Present Residents of the Town of Caroline.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 42° 22.687′ N, 76° 17.485′ W. Marker is in Caroline, New York, in Tompkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Slaterville Road (New York State Route 79) and Pacific Road, on the right when traveling west on Slaterville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooktondale NY 14817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cabin Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Nathaniel Tobey (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Rich Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles
Also see . . . "The Town of Caroline," in Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York (Selkreg, 1894). (Submitted on June 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.