Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Coffee High School

1917~1951

 
 
Coffee High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, June 21, 2017
1. Coffee High School Marker
Inscription.  (side 1)
Coffee High School opened at this site in the fall of 1917. Camilla Coffee donated the land in honor of her late husband, Capt. Alexander D. Coffee, son of Gen. John Coffee, a Founding Father of Florence. Because of her generosity, the school was named Coffee. Built a the cost of $95,000, it has 18 rooms, an auditorium and a courtyard. The school served grades 8 through 11. Thirteen students graduated in 1918. It received accreditation as a secondary school in 1920. A red two-room frame structure was moved from Patton School to this site in 1921 for added classrooms and, later, as the band room.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Principals were J.N. Howell 1917 to 1930, D. A. Springer 1930 to 1940, and Rufus Hibbett 1940 to 1945. Coach Tom Braly was named Principal in 1945 and continued coaching two more seasons. Florence Junior High School was aded to this campus in 1936 with 600 students in grades 7 through 9. The 1951 class was the last to graduate from Coffee at this site. In the fall of 1951, the new larger Coffee
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
High School east of here opened for grades 9 through 12. The buildings here were then renamed F. T, Appleby School in honor of F. T. Appleby, Florence Schools Superintendent from 1917 to 1832. Classes at Appleby School ceased in 1980. The school burned in 1984 and was razed in 1985.
 
Erected 2017 by Coffee High School Class of 1950.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
 
Location. 34° 48.444′ N, 87° 40.539′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Hermitage Drive (County Route 47) and North Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Hermitage Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General George Washington Goethals' Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); George H. Carroll Lion Habitat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locust Dell Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); A More Inclusive Era (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pope's Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pope's Tavern Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seminary - O'Neal Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherry Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
Coffee High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, June 21, 2017
2. Coffee High School Marker
Coffee High School Marker School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, June 21, 2017
3. Coffee High School Marker School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104643

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024