Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Woodlawn in Carroll County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Woodlawn School

 
 
Woodlawn School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
1. Woodlawn School Marker
Inscription.  Woodlawn Mate and Female Academy, a private school, was Founded in 1878 and became the Woodlawn Normal Institute in 1898, a preparatory school for teachers. Named Woodlawn in 1907, it became the first public high school in Carroll County after the Virginia General Assembly passed the 1906 Mann High School bill. In 1917, School Superintendent J. Lee Cox obtained federal funding that made Woodlawn High School the first school in the United States to teach vocational agriculture under the Smith-Hughes Act. Fred R. Kirby was the first vocational agricultural instructor at Woodlawn and was named Master Teacher of the South in 1933.
 
Erected 2010 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number U-27a.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location. 36° 43.653′ N, 80° 49.134′ W. Marker is near Woodlawn, Virginia, in Carroll County. Marker is on Woodlawn Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(Route 872) east of Snake Creek Road (County Route 620), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodlawn VA 24381, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodlawn (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Stonemans (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hillsville (approx. 5.3 miles away); Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home (approx. 5.3 miles away); Hillsville Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away); Carroll County (approx. 5.7 miles away); John Carroll (approx. 6.4 miles away); Galax (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodlawn.
 
Also see . . .  Woodlawn School closing after century of service. 2013 article by Michael Howlett in The Carroll News. “In 1878, the Woodlawn Male and Female Academy was founded by Isaac A. Minor on a small tract of land not far from the original log schoolhouse. The school’s name was changed to Woodlawn Normal Institute in 1898 and headed by Professor George Ivy. A boarding hall for students was built in 1902 and then rebuilt in 1904 following a fire. The building housed the Carroll County Library, which was the first circulating school library in Virginia, until 1957, and used as a cafeteria and classrooms. The structure, which was destroyed in 1960, stood where the present-day baseball field is located.” (Submitted on June 23, 2017.) 
 
Woodlawn School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
2. Woodlawn School Marker
Woodlawn School and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
3. Woodlawn School and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104653

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024