Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Criglersville in Madison County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blue Ridge Turnpike

 
 
Blue Ridge Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, June 24, 2017
1. Blue Ridge Turnpike Marker
Inscription.  The Blue Ridge Turnpike, completed in 1853, passed near here on its 56-mile route from the vicinity of New Market to the railhead in Gordonsville. Crossing the mountains at Fishers Gap, the road linked the Shenandoah Valley to markets in the east. The Blue Ridge Turnpike Company financed the $176,000 project by selling shares of stock to individuals and to the Commonwealth of Virginia. After the road sustained heavy damage during the Civil War, the company abandoned it. Counties along the route took over maintenance about 1870. Traces of the original alignment exist along State Routes 231 and 670 and within Shenandoah National Park.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number JE-7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 38° 27.644′ N, 78° 18.209′ W. Marker is in Criglersville, Virginia, in Madison
Blue Ridge Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, June 24, 2017
2. Blue Ridge Turnpike Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is on Old Blue Ridge Turnpike (Virginia Route 670) 0.2 miles west of Poor House Road (Virginia Route 642), on the right when traveling north. Located adjacent to the Blue Ridge Heritage Project Memorial, in front of the old Criglersville Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1120 Old Blue Ridge Turnpike, Madison VA 22727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Camp of Stonewall Jackson’s (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hebron Lutheran Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Jackson’s March to Fredericksburg (approx. 5.9 miles away); James L. Kemper Residence (approx. 6 miles away); Herbert Hoover (approx. 6.1 miles away); Madison County Courthouse (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cpl. Clinton Greaves (1855-1906) (approx. 6.1 miles away); Madison County Confederate Dead (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker was officially dedicated on June 17, 2017, although it had been erected several months earlier.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 281 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104692

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 9, 2022