Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fairmount-Southside Historic District
Fort Worth was incorporated in 1873 in anticipation of the first railroad, which came through in 1876. Speculators bought and sold land they believed would turn the most profit if Fort Worth's economy was bolstered by the railroad. During the post-railroad boom, the city began to quickly expand south. Developers planned the additions that now comprise the Fairmount-Southside Historic District during the years 1883-1907. The largest was the Fairmount Addition, platted in 1890, which encompasses much of the western half of the district. When developed, the land on which the Fairmount-Southside Historic District now rests was on the southernmost
The district grew rapidly in its formative years, as many middle-income workers moved to Fort Worth for various employment opportunities. Within the first two decades of the 20th Century, streetcar lines ran down major district thoroughfares, including College and Fairmount Avenues, carrying railroad employees, doctors, lawyers, salesmen and merchants to and from their homes built on the Southside to their areas of employment. Beginning with Queen Anne and ending in the Craftsman style, the homes built by the original residents now showcase the evolution of domestic architecture of early 20th Century suburban America.
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18473.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 43.593′ N, 97° 20.301′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West Allen Avenue and Smith Street, on the right when traveling west on West Allen Avenue. This marker stands in a small parklet in the Fairmount-Southside National Historic District. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 W Allen Ave, Fort Worth TX 76104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grammer-Pierce House (approx. half a mile away); Fort Worth Zoological Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Westbrook Estate (approx. 1.3 miles away); Eddleman-McFarland House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Fort Worth Main Post Office Building (approx. 1˝ miles away); St. Ignatius Academy Building (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hell's Half Acre (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.