Apopka in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit
This little church began as a simple rectangular board and batten structure built in 1886 by the First Congregational Church on Main Street in Apopka. Services were held in the church for ten years until the Great Freeze of 1895 forced the congregation to disband. The building housed various businesses during the subsequent years, and eventually fell into neglect. In 1902, two Orange County educators, sisters Elizabeth Emma and Mary E. Dart, prevailed upon Saint Luke's Cathedral in Orlando to purchase the building for $75 and start an Episcopal Mission. The Dart sisters, alongside other Episcopalians, restored and re-consecrecrated the church. Bishop William Crane Gray held the first service on November 16, 1902, in the renamed Church of the Holy Spirit. Parking issues and traffic noise forced the congregation to relocate the church to its current location in 1970. Congregation growth prompted the construction of a new church building, and the "Big Church" was consecrated by Bishop John W. Howe in 1990. The original "Little Church" serves as Holy Spirit's Memorial Garden Chapel. Both churches display Carpenter Gothic architecture and reflect
Erected 2016 by The Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-943.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 28° 40.237′ N, 81° 30.297′ W. Marker is in Apopka, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of East 6th Street and South Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 S Highland Ave, Apopka FL 32703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida (approx. ¼ mile away); Apopka Schoolhouse (approx. half a mile away); Community of Piedmont (approx. 2½ miles away); Lovell's Landing at Lake Apopka (approx. 3.6 miles away); Forest City (approx. 3.9 miles away); Farm Workers Enrich the Cultural History of Lake Apopka (approx. 5.4 miles away); Lake Apopka North Shore (approx. 5.4 miles away); Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apopka.
Also see . . . Church of the Holy Spirit. Church website homepage (Submitted on July 1, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.