Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Quanah in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store

 
 
Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
1. Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store Marker
Inscription.  The townsite of Medicine Mound had long been a thriving village when brothers-in-law Lon L. Cobb and Ira Lee Hicks arrived in the area with their families in 1927 and opened a general merchandise store. The store sold such items as work clothes and clothing material, shoes, cotton sacks, groceries and horse feed. Regular customers warmed themselves by the fire in winter, indulging in conversation and checkers. In 1933 a fire all but destroyed the townsite, but Hicks and Cobb rebuilt that year with round granite cobblestones from Oklahoma. Lon L. Cobb died in 1942. Hicks carried on and the store was among the last businesses to serve area residents and migrant agricultural workers. Ira Lee Hicks died in 1966; the structure became a community gathering place and a Medicine Mound museum.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11927.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
 
Location. 34° 11.235′ N, 99° 35.682′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near Quanah, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is on Highway 91 Spur east of Farm to Market Road 1167, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quanah TX 79252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. P. A. Sanitation Project (here, next to this marker); Medicine Mound Community (here, next to this marker); Old Mounds Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (approx. 4˝ miles away); Chillicothe First Methodist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Pease River Battlefield (approx. 8.4 miles away); Site of the Town of Margaret (approx. 8˝ miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Quanah (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quanah.
 
Three markers at Medicine Mound, Texas image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
2. Three markers at Medicine Mound, Texas
Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store Marker, Medicine Mound Community Marker and W.P.A. Sanitation Project Marker.
Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
3. Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104917

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024