Sylvania in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This school is a half-scale replica of the two story school that was built on this site in 1844. It was named "Stone Academy" because it was built out of local cut quarry stone. In 1869, a brick building replaced it called "Sylvania High School". Two wings and a playground running back to the railroad tracks were added in 1872. The building was used as a school until 1926 and it was abandoned in 1929 for the newly built Burnham High School.
The Historical Village duplicated Stone Academy using the building instructions from the 1844 school board minutes. The Sylvania Historical Village stands on the original site of this school.
The interior reflects the first school year of 1845 with reproduction candle sconces and whale oil lights. President James Polk is in office and the school books are McGuffey Readers and Blue Back Spellers. The desks are copies of the 1830-1850 Ohio common school desks which held two students.
Sign Sponsored By: Flower Hospital
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 41° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5717 Main Street, Sylvania OH 43560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Log Home (a few steps from this marker); 1850 Barn (a few steps from this marker); Railroad Car Barn (a few steps from this marker); 1858 Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Sister City Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Sylvania Heritage Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Western Railway Company (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Also see . . . 1844 Stone Academy. Information about the Stone Academy on Sylavania Historical Village's website. (Submitted on July 4, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.