Eastland in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eastland County Courthouse
The Texas Legislature created Eastland County in 1858, but sparse settlement delayed organization until 1873, when Merriman (8 mi. NE) became the first county seat. Charles Connellee and Jack Daugherty platted the new town of Eastland near the center of the county, and by a vote of 67 to 60 the county seat moved here in 1875. The commissioners met in a stone building across from the town square. The Texas & Pacific Railway arrived in October 1880 and spurred growth, but when the Texas Central Railway created the new town of Cisco, Eastland had to survive a county seat election in August 1881. An 1896 fire destroyed the 1883 courthouse, and Cisco again forced a county seat election, receiving a majority of votes but not the required two-thirds margin. In 1898, the county completed a new three-story courthouse and jail in Eastland.
Following oil and natural gas booms in the 1910s and 1920s, voters approved $300,000 in bonds for a new building designed by the Dallas architectural firm of Otto H. Lang and Frank O. Witchell. The grand new building opened by December 1928 with space for county, district and appellate courts and
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16983.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1881.
Location. 32° 24.071′ N, 98° 49.097′ W. Marker is in Eastland, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Seaman Street (Texas Route 6) and West Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on South Seaman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Main Street, Eastland TX 76448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceEastland (here, next to this marker); Early Banking in Eastland (a few steps from this marker); The Bankhead Highway (a few steps from this marker); Eastland County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Settlers of Eastland County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church (about 400 feet away); Connellee - Majestic Theatre (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastland.
Also see . . . Texas Escapes on the Eastland County Courthouse (with photos). (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
1. Old Rip
A window exhibit on the north side of the courthouse tells the tale of "Old Rip":
In 1897 when the cornerstone of the new Courthouse was dedicated, Earnest Wood, Justice of the Peace, who was a member of the Band, noticed his son, Will Wood, playing with a horned toad. The idea came to him to place the toad in the cornerstone. They named him 'Old Rip' and he lived peacefully in this cornerstone until February 28, 1928, when the courthouse was demolished to make way for a new one. Three thousand persons were
— Submitted March 15, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.