Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church

 
 
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Saint Andrew`s Episcopal Church in Darien received its charter in 1843, under the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliott, first Bishop of the Diocese of Georgia. The church edifice, a large wooden building with a belfry, erected on a lot a short distance North of this site, was completed in 1844. The Rev. Richard Brown was the first Rector.

This building was burned in 1863, when Darien was put to the torch by Federal troops stationed on St. Simon`s Island, and for several years after services were held in a little church on The Ridge.

In 1872, James K. Clarke, Mr. Langdon and Donald Munroe headed a movement to rebuild Saint Andrew`s in Darien. Other members of the church assisted with money and with work. Plans were secured from England, and the edifice as it now stands, a copy of a little church in Britain, was built.

The church was opened in January of 1879, with the Rev. Samuel Pinkerton as Rector.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1879.
 
Location. 31° 22.101′ N, 81° 25.942′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling north on Franklin Street. On the east side of Vernon Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Bank of Darien (a few steps from this marker); Vernon Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodists at Darien (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); The Burning of Darien (about 700 feet away); Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Oglethorpe Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
 
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church at Vernon Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church at Vernon Square
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, August 2011
3. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on September 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10553

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024