Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1997 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 32° 18.073′ N, 90° 10.957′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is on North Congress Street north of East Amite Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson MS 39201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Galloway Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mississippi Liberty BellMonument to Women of the Confederacy (about 800 feet away); Jackson Municipal Library Sit-In (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greyhound Bus Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Also see . . . A History of James Smith Park Jackson, Mississippi One of America’s Oldest Urban Parks. (Submitted on July 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.