Ocilla in Irwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
it never can be told!
Sing it as you will,
it never can be sung.
The story of the glory
of the men who wore the gray.
proclaims the deathless
fame of those who fought
Honor to heroes is glory
to our God and our Country."
Erected 1940 by Mary V. Henderson Chapter 823, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list.
Location. 31° 35.519′ N, 83° 15.049′ W. Marker is in Ocilla, Georgia, in Irwin County. Memorial is at the intersection of South Irwin Avenue and West 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on South Irwin Avenue. This monument is on the lawn of the Irwin County Courthouse. It was originally installed October 4th, 1911 and relocated here in 1940. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South Irwin Avenue, Ocilla GA 31774, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Irwin County (a few steps from this marker); Veterans of All Wars Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Irwin County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dorminy's Meeting House Young's Meeting House Brushy Creek (approx. 3.4 miles away); First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 8.2 miles away); Portable Confinement Cage (approx. 8.4 miles away); Ben Hill County (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocilla.
1. Summary of sculpture.
A Confederate soldier stands wearing a brimmed campaign hat and a bedroll slung over his proper right shoulder. He has a sharp Vandyke beard and his proper left hand holds a musket by the barrel, with stalk on the ground. A bayonet is under his proper right arm and his proper right hand gestures. Behind the soldier's proper left leg is a cut stump. The soldier is mounted upon a tall, inscribed, multitiered base with a column-like upper section and a graduated lower section. On the front and rear of the lower section of the base a cannon barrel projects outward amidst a bas-relief of crossed cavalry sabers. Source: Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museums.
— Submitted July 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 15, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.