Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Franklin County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Hatch House

 
 
Hatch House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 21, 2017
1. Hatch House Marker
Inscription.  In 1874, Bishop L.H. Hatch built a mansion that has been preserved as a fine example of pioneer Idaho architecture.
Idaho's only railroad serving Montana's thriving mining camps, reached here that year -- a time of depression between gold rushes, when Franklin was Idaho's largest city. Two years later, rail construction resumed, and freighters moved on. But Hatch's elegant house remains as a reminder of a bygone era.
 
Erected by Idaho Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 388.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Idaho State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
 
Location. 42° 1.039′ N, 111° 48.004′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Idaho, in Franklin County. Marker is on East Main Street near 1st Street East, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Main Street, Franklin ID 83237, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lorenzo Hill Hatch & John Doney Houses (here, next to this marker); FCMI Store 1858
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); ZCMI Co-op Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Relic Hall - 1937 (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin's Pioneer School House 1860 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Birthplace of Samuel P. Cowley (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Fort of Franklin (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Hatch House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 21, 2017
2. Hatch House and Marker
The marker is on the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=105694

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024