Sault Ste. Marie in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Shingwauk Hall was erected in 1935 to house a residential training school established in 1873 by the Reverend Edward F. Wilson. Under this Anglican missionary's tutelage the institution, named after the well-known Ojibway Chief Augustin Shingwauk (Little Pine), provided Indian children with religious instruction, occupational training and homemaking skills. The first frame structure, located at the nearby Garden River Reserve, was destroyed by fire within six days of its completion, and the foundation stone for a new three-storey stone building was laid here in 1874 by the Earl of Dufferin, the Governor-General of Canada. Other buildings were added, but of these the Bishop Fauquier Chapel, completed in 1883, is the sole remaining structure.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
Location. 46° 29.993′ N, 84° 17.254′ W. Marker is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in Algoma District. Marker is on Queen Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1520 Queen Street East, Sault Ste Marie ON P6A 2G4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. John Prince (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Methodist Indian Mission (approx. 2.1 kilometers away in the U.S.); Ermatinger House (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); Precious Blood Cathedral (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Post Office (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Sault Ste. Marie Indian Agency (approx. 3.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Nicolas Perrot (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Keystone Lodge (approx. 3.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sault Ste. Marie.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.