Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakewood in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South

 
 
Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
1. Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South Marker
Inscription.  
Intersection, Summit and Chautauqua Avenues, Looking South. The Chautauqua Avenue buildings on the right between Summit Street and Third Street were built in the 1890's. Their characteristic flat roofs can still be recognized today although porches and balconies have been removed. Each of the large structures called "blocks" housed a wide variety of commercial operations to supply local residents' needs in the age of limited transportation. The building on the southwest corner of Summit and Chautauqua was a rooming house with a saloon in the basement. Later it was Miles Grocery and the familiar P and A Grocery as recently as the late 1970s. The village fire bell was and can be seen on the top of the tallest building. That bell is now in front of the fire station on Chautauqua Avenue. Similar small shops and services extended along the left side of Chautauqua Avenue also. The original steep southward slope of Chautauqua Avenue, seen here, was graded in 1891 to a moderate grade. The trolley tracks in the foreground are those of the Jamestown Street Railway Company which made Lakewood its western terminus after it was electrified in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1891.

Chautauqua Avenue-Summit Street Intersection. This 1934 winter view looks toward the main intersection of the village. The low building in the center of the picture replaced the larger, earlier structure which had housed a number of facilities including a Chautauqua Traction station. The new building, a grocery store, later became the Post Office and is now a prvate enterprise. The building on the left, another grocery, remains, minus its second floor.
 
Erected 2011 by Lakewood History Committee. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 42° 6.195′ N, 79° 19.579′ W. Marker is in Lakewood, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of Chautauqua Avenue and West Summit Street, on the right when traveling south on Chautauqua Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakewood NY 14750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chautauqua Avenue, Looking North to Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); New Holbrook Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lakewood Village Hall (about 500 feet away); The Packards (about 500 feet away); Aull Cottage
Chautauqua Avenue Looking South & Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
2. Chautauqua Avenue Looking South & Marker
(about 800 feet away); Paul Sorg Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lakewood Station on Erie Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Packard Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakewood.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=105765

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024