Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Georgia Volunteer
Spanish American Monument
[South Face (front)]:
country in the
[North Face (back)]:
1898 - 1902
Philippine Islands, Cuba, Porto Rico, U.S.A.
[West Face, added in 1946]:
Soldier · Comrade · Citizen
William L. Grayson
1st. Lieut. Co. "M" 1st Regt. Ga. Vols.
Spanish American War
Commander Department of Georgia U.S.W.V.
1925 - 1927
National Commander in Chief U.S.W.V.
1928 - 1929
His distinguished service has endeared him
to all veterans of all wars
[East Face, added later]:
Stephen N. Harris
who served his country well
as a soldier and citizen
Private, Co. B 2nd Ga. Infantry
Cdr. Worth Bagley Camp No. 10 Dept. Ga. U.S.W.V.
Commander Dept. of Ga. U.S.W.V
Adj. Gen. United Spanish War Veterans
Chief of Staff, Council Of Adm. Ga. U.S.W.V.
His character and leadership inspired his
comrades and fellow citizens.
Erected 1931 by United Spanish War Veterans.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, Spanish-American.
Location. 32° 3.895′ N, 81° 5.847′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Bull Street and W Park Avenue, in the median on Bull Street. At south entrance to Forsyth Park in Savannah. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. British Evacuation (a few steps from this marker); Birthplace of Eighth Air Force (a few steps from this marker); Nina Anderson Pape (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Francis Bartow (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lawton Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette McLaws (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forsyth Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
More about this marker. The monument commemorates the Spanish-American War soldiers from Georgia. It was erected by a memorial committee, which was responsible for raising $2,000 of the $10,000 raised for the project. Savannah was chosen as the site for the monument because it contributed more Spanish-American War soldiers per capita than any other city in Georgia.
The architect for the base was Cletus Bergen of Savannah. The site within the park was chosen because it placed the sculpture between monuments for the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, and those of World War I. The iron fence was placed around the monument in 1932 to protect it from careless park visitors.
General William L. Grayson of Savannah was the only southerner who ever served as commander-in-chief of the United Spanish War Veterans (USWV).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Other instances of Kitson's The Hiker statues entered in the
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,128 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.