Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakewood in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Kent House and Second Kent House

 
 
First Kent House and Second Kent House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
1. First Kent House and Second Kent House Marker
Inscription.  
First Kent House. The first of two hotels by this name was built in 1875 east of the Lakeview House. The present day Chautauqua Lake Yacht Club occupies a portion of the hotel site. Its 103 bedrooms providing accommodations for 500 guests opened off ¼ mile of hallways. Two miles of gas lines supplied light and power. A 400 foot long wide dock enabled the large steamers to unload broadside. The frame building burned to the ground in 1887.

Second Kent House. This massive hotel, standing 5 stories high with a 125 foot ornamental tower and observatory, opened in 1888 on the site of the first Kent House. Antique oak furniture and fine woodwork in its 250 guest rooms and lobby marked the hotel as a showplace. Fire prevention measures included electric fire alarm bells and fire extinguishers placed every few feet throughout the building. The hotel ceased operations after 1903 when the resort hotel business grew out of styles. The entire contents of the building were auctioned off in 1909 and the building was razed in 1916. Large amounts of salvaged material - 600,000 feet of kindling woods - were used in the construction of
First Kent House and Second Kent House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 15, 2017
2. First Kent House and Second Kent House Marker
This is the right marker of the the three pictured.
Click or scan to see
this page online
many village homes.
 
Erected 2010 by Lakewood History Committee. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 42° 6.344′ N, 79° 19.577′ W. Marker is in Lakewood, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of West Terrace Avenue and Chautauqua Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Terrace Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakewood NY 14750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club (here, next to this marker); Packard Mansion (here, next to this marker); Lakewood Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Paul Sorg Mansion (a few steps from this marker); Aull Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); New Holbrook Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chautauqua Avenue, Looking North to Lake (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Packards (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakewood.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=105900

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2021