Iron Mountain in Dickinson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes / Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church
Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries Italian immigrants came to Iron Mountain to work in the iron mines. In 1890, Italian Catholics from the community’s north side organized what was popularly known as “the Italian Church.” That year they built a frame church near this site. The church burned in 1893 and was rebuilt. In April 1902, Father G. Pietro Sinopoli arrived here. Within two months he formed a church building committee. Four thousand dollars was raised and in June Father Sinopoli began excavating the foundation. The church was completed in December and dedicated to Mary Immaculate of Lourdes on January 1, 1903.
Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church
This church reflects the heritage and building techniques of the Italian immigrants who erected it. The church, with its bell tower fashioned after a campanile, is strikingly reminiscent of Renaissance parish churches in Italy. Father G. Pietro Sinopoli, the parish priest, is thought to have designed the building. Masons and volunteers hauled sandstone from a quarry one mile south of here to
Erected 1990. (Marker Number L0661.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 45° 49.959′ N, 88° 3.34′ W. Marker is in Iron Mountain, Michigan, in Dickinson County. Marker is at the intersection of Blaine Street and Millie Street, on the right when traveling west on Blaine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Blaine St, Iron Mountain MI 49801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ardis Furnace (approx. 0.4 miles away); Italians in Dickinson County (approx. 0.9 miles away); James and Ida Goulette (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cornish Pump (approx. 0.9 miles away); Robert C. Hoyle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dickinson County / Dickinson County Courthouse and Jail (approx. 1.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.