Woodland in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Defenses of Washington
— 1861-1865 —
Earthworks of Battery Ricketts are visible inside the wooded area in front of you.
Battery Ricketts, built to defend an area in front of Fort Stanton, was named for Maj. Gen. James B. Ricketts.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 38° 51.401′ N, 76° 58.512′ W. Marker is in Woodland in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of Bruce Place Southeast and Raynolds Place Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Bruce Place Southeast. Located in Fort Stanton Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2782 Bruce Place Southeast, Washington DC 20020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thurgood Marshall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Freedom Grove (1838) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Memorial Grove (1841-1895)Escape Allée (1838) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Activist Grove (1833-1845) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Stanton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Frederick Douglass's Rustic Retreat (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick Douglass National Historic Site (approx. 0.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker displays a plan of Battery Ricketts from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing. A map shows other Civil War fortifications surrounding Washington, D.C. administered by the park service. The bottom of the marker is a wartime photo, used on many markers of this series, of a gun at Fort Totten, captioned During the Civil War, Washington's forts overlooked farm land.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Ricketts. National Park Service page on the fort. (Submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Fort Stanton. Wikipedia entry covering Fort Stanton and surrounding fortifications. (Submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. James Brewerton Ricketts, U.S. Army. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Battery Ricketts Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Noted as a "Fort" in some references, this work had a perimeter of 123 yards. The form was an enclosed battery or redoubt. Its purpose was to defend an exposed ravine, which was a blind side to nearby Fort Stanton. Thus Forts Stanton, Ricketts, and Fort Snyder
The fort's armament evolved over time. In February 1862 it boasted four 32-pdr seacoast guns. By March 1864 these were replaced by three 12-pdr howitzers and one 8-inch siege howitzer. A year later the howitzers were upgraded to 12-pdr Napoleons.
Units stationed at different times at the fort included the 59th New York Infantry, 4th, 9th, and 10th New York Heavy Artillery, 88th and 99th Pennsylvania Infantry, 9th Rhode Island Infantry, 17th and 19th Maine Infantry, 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, Batteries F and G Independent Pennsylvania Artillery, and the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery.
The fort was likely named for General James B. Ricketts. But may also have been named for Captain R. Bruce Ricketts, later chief of artillery of the IX Corps.
— Submitted August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,891 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on March 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.