Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
World War II Glider Pilots
Pilots who received advance training
and silver “G” wings at South Plains
Army Air Field, Lubbock Texas during
the period of 13 July 1942
through 15 January 1945.
These volunteers flew fragile, unarmed
gliders on eight major airborne invasions
of Europe and Southeast Asia. Many paid
the supreme sacrifice for their country.
Presented to the City of Lubbock
The National WW II Glider Pilots Association
“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers”
19 April 1997
Waco, 15-man, glider (CG-4A)
Erected 1997 by The National WW II Glider Pilots Association.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. A significant historical date for this entry is January 15, 1945.
Location. 33° 39.47′ N, 101° 49.913′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Memorial is on North Cedar Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6202 North Interstate 27, Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least W. G. McMillan Construction Company (a few steps from this marker); South Plains Army Air Field (a few steps from this marker); Douglas DC-3/C-47/R4D-6S (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Lubbock Municipal Airport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Lubbock (approx. 1.8 miles away); Austin Brothers Bridge (approx. 3.9 miles away); Landwer/Manicapelli Home (approx. 4 miles away); Prairie Dog Town (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.