Fayette in Jefferson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The express purpose of Mississippi Baptists' conference ministries program has always been to provide a setting in which God can lead His people to make life-changing spiritual decisions including professions of faith, rededications, and commitments to Christian vocations. Over the years, thousands of such decisions have been made in the conference ministry settings.
Mississippi Baptists began their conference ministries program in 1947 when Mississippi Woman's Missionary Union opened Camp Garaywa (named for Girls in Action, Royal Ambassadors, Young Women's Association) on 50 acres in Clinton. Garaywa developed a comprehensive summer program for children and youth. With the recent addition of Patterson Place, a multi-purpose facility with hotel type accommodations and assembly rooms for adults, the camp currently operates the entire year.
Gulfshore Baptist Assembly
The former U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, on the Bay of St. Louis' Henderson Point just west of Kittiwake along Highway 90, was purchased from the federal government in 1959 and renamed
Central Hills Baptist Retreat
After the destruction of Kittiwake, Royal Ambassador camps were held at Mississippi state parks until Central Hills Baptist Retreat opened in 1979. Situated on 540 acres of woods and lakes in Attala County outside Kosciusko, Central Hills provides a natural setting for the summer camping program. The camp is managed by the Men's Ministry Department of the convention board and it's also used by churches and convention groups for retreats, conferences and activity settings during the off season.
Kittiwake Baptist Assembly
Kittiwake Baptist Assembly in Pass Christian was purchased in 1955 by the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board. Kittiwake, which served primarily as the state's Royal Ambassadors camp, consisted of 16 acres and was fronted by the Gulf of Mexico beach just across U.S. Highway 90. Kittiwake was damaged by Hurricane Camille in 1969, and later sold to private interests.
Erected by Mississippi Baptist Historical Commission.
Topics. Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 39.411′ N, 91° 8.161′ W. Marker is in Fayette, Mississippi, in Jefferson County. Marker is on U.S. 61, one mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayette MS 39069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mississippi- Fertile Ground for Leadership Development (here, next to this marker); Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc. (a few steps from this marker); The Baptist Children's Village (a few steps from this marker); The Baptist Record (a few steps from this marker); William Carey University (a few steps from this marker); Woodville Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Blue Mountain College (a few steps from this marker); Baptist Building (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayette.
More about this marker. Located in the Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2017.