Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sackville in Westmorland County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
 

The Ford Block

1894

 
 
The Ford Block Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 28, 2017
1. The Ford Block Marker
Inscription.   This building stands on land originally part of the Bowser Farm property purchased from Daniel Hawkins in 1777. In 1894 local merchant George E. Ford acquired a five acre lot, on which he constructed this block as a department store in three sections: Tailoring, Dry Goods and Groceries. It was "all handsomely fitted up" and by 1902 was among the first buildings in Sackville to be lit by electricity. A room, "Ford's Hall," on the second floor was the site of the crucial meeting which approved the incorporation of the Town of Sackville on 12 January, 1903. Owned by the Ford family until 1947, it has since been home to a number of businesses.
 
Erected 2001 by Renaissance Sackville and York and Main Holdings.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1903.
 
Location. 45° 53.853′ N, 64° 22.117′ W. Marker is in Sackville, New Brunswick, in Westmorland County. Marker is on Main Street (New Brunswick Route 106) just south of Bridge Street/York Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 96-102 Main Street, Sackville NB E4L 4A7, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Henderson Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Harold Geddes (within shouting distance of this marker); Copp Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wood Block / L'Edifice Wood (within shouting distance of this marker); George F. G. Stanley (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (about 210 meters away); 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) Ferret Armored Car (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sackville.
 
Also see . . .  The George E. Ford Block Canadian Register of Historic Places Listing. (Submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
The Ford Block and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 28, 2017
2. The Ford Block and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2024. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106470

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024