Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchitoches in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Northwestern State University

 
 
Northwestern State University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
1. Northwestern State University Marker
Inscription.  The history of Northwestern State University begins when a portion of property owned by Natchitoches founder Louis Juchereau de St. Denis was obtained by the Bullard family who in 1832 completed a mansion on a hill facing east towards Chaplin’s Lake, then a principal channel of Red River. In 1850, a portion of the property was purchased by Bishop Auguste Martin who later sold the 45 acres and buildings to the superior of the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Natchitoches. When the sisters relocated their Academy to the site, they modified the Bullard mansion and constructed a large brick school. Enrollment at the Academy declined following the Civil War and the school closed in 1875.

The school and property remained vacant for nearly a decade until 1884 when a bill was introduced into the Louisiana legislature to establish a state normal school, dedicated exclusively to the training of teachers, a measure intended to upgrade the quality of Louisiana public schools. The institutions were based on a French model called the ecole normale, which related to the norms and standards applied in teaching. State Representative Capt. Leopold
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Caspari marshaled the support of local civic and business leaders to purchase the property of the Academy and offered it as the site for Louisiana State Normal School. The selection was made in October 1884 and the school’s first session began in March 1885.

Normal began granting bachelor’s degrees in 1918 and in 1921 was renamed Louisiana State Normal College. The College continued to grow throughout the 20th century with expanded degree offerings and in 1944 became Northwestern State College of Louisiana. In recognition of its growth, public service and research endeavors, the school was renamed Northwestern State University of Louisiana in 1970.

Northwestern State has many traditions, from its resident ghost, Isabella, to its unique mascot, Vic the Demon, to its Lady of the Bracelet and a long history of excellence in athletics and academics.

In 1984, the university commemorated its centennial with year-long activities in the “Celebration of a Century” that included a Centennial Extravaganza, the unveiling of a Centennial plaque and the formal dedication of the Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts.

The Louisiana Scholar’s College, the state’s only designated honors college, was established at NSU in 1987. In the digital age, NSU blazed the trail in the field of distance learning. The school also houses the Louisiana
Northwestern State University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
2. Northwestern State University Marker
Folklife Center and National Center for Preservation Technology and Training.

Northwestern State University has had a tremendous social and economic impact in Natchitoches and beyond. Since its inception, the school has provided resources for educational and cultural opportunities and continues in the 21st century with its mission of being a student-oriented institution that is committed to the creation, dissemination and acquisition of knowledge through teaching research and service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1885.
 
Location. 31° 45.141′ N, 93° 5.532′ W. Marker is in Natchitoches, Louisiana, in Natchitoches Parish. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and University Parkway (State Highway 6), on the left when traveling south on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchitoches LA 71457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort St. Jean Baptiste (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The American Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Saint Jean Baptiste (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jefferson Highway (approx. ¼ mile away); Colonial Gateway Corral (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
¼ mile away); El Camino Real de los Tejas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Natchitoches and the Early American Period (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchitoches.
 
Also see . . .  Northwestern State University. (Submitted on August 3, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106519

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024