Hobson City in Calhoun County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Hobson City, Alabama
Hobson City is Alabama's first incorporated black city. The area was first known as Mooree Quarter, a black settlement that was part of Oxford, Alabama. After a black man was elected Justice of the Peace in Oxford, one mayor promised, if elected, he would stop blacks from participating in elections. After his election, he went to the State Capitol in Montgomery and had the corporate boundaries of Oxford redrawn to exclude Mooree Quarter. With the help of Ross Black, an Anniston attorney, the colored citizens filed a petition on July 20, 1899 with the Calhoun County Probate Judge to become a separate municipality. After proper legal proceedings, the town was incorporated August 16, 1899. The municipality was called "Hobson City," after the Spanish American war hero Richard P. Hobson. Thus, Hobson City became the second municipality in the South controlled and governed entirely by colored people. At the time of incorporation, its population was 135 people consisting of 12 families.
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Hobson City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 20, 1899.
Location. 33° 37.208′ N, 85° 50.585′ W. Marker is in Hobson City, Alabama, in Calhoun County. Marker is on Martin Luther King Drive east of Douglas Street, on the right when traveling east. Located in Hobson City Park. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Oxford (approx. 0.6 miles away); Creek Indian Campaign Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Simmons Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint John United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Southern Railway Station Attack (approx. 2.1 miles away); Trailways Attack (approx. 2.6 miles away); Trailways Bus Station Attack (approx. 2.6 miles away); Greyhound Bus Station Protest, May 14, 1961 (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.