Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Fort Kaministiquia 1717
A small fort was established near here in 1717 by a French officer, Zacharie Robutel de la Nouë. First of a projected series of bases en route to the "Western Sea", it replaced a structure built in 1679 by Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Dulhut, on another branch of the Kaministiquia River delta. It served as a trading post and base of operations, 1727-43, for Pierre Gaultier de la Vérendrye, the famous explorer. Following the conquest of New France in 1760 this fort was abandoned. A later Fort Kaministiquia, built a short distance downriver by the North West Company, was renamed Fort William in 1807. It became the nucleus of this city.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1717.
Location. 48° 22.936′ N, 89° 14.743′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Donald Street East and May Street South, on the right when traveling eastTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Donald Street East, Thunder Bay ON P7C 5K4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William McGillivray (here, next to this marker); Thunder Bay Public Library (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Western Route of the C.P.R. (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Capture of Fort William (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fort William (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); a different marker also named Fort William (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); The Mission of the Immaculate Conception 1849 (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 4.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.