Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Town of Plattsburgh in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pike's Cantonment

 
 
Pike's Cantonment Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ellen Adams
1. Pike's Cantonment Marker
Inscription.  A War of 1812 military camp stood to the west of this marker. Many occupants died defending Plattsburgh and lie buried not far from here.
 
Erected by American Military Ret. Assoc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
 
Location. 44° 40.347′ N, 73° 28.962′ W. Marker is in Town of Plattsburgh, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on New York State Route 22, on the right when traveling west. The marker is across the road from Plattsburgh International Airport. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plattsburgh NY 12903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Pike’s Cantonment (here, next to this marker); FB-111A Strategic Bomber (approx. 1.9 miles away); B-47 Strato-Jet Bomber Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Headquarters Plattsburgh Barracks (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Post Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Troop Barracks
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.9 miles away); The Remarkable One-Armed Joe Forkey (approx. 1.9 miles away); Plattsburgh Barracks Veterans Park (approx. 1.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Pike's Cantonment. Pike’s Cantonment was the location of a military encampment during the War of 1812 under the command of Zebulon Pike. It was established in the winter of 1812-1813 for 2,000 American soldiers and burned to the ground by British troops during the summer of 1813.

The site was located in 2011 during an archaeological dig that uncovered a bayonet scabbard, ammunition, military jacket buttons, building sites, and burned timber.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106841

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024