Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baldwin in Lake County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lake County

 
 
Lake County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 4, 2017
1. Lake County Marker
Inscription.  This county was originally set off in 1840 and first named Aishcum after a well-known Potawatomi chief. In 1843 the name was changed to Lake. For three decades it was attached to neighboring counties until 1871 when settlement was sufficient to warrant organization. Baldwin, the county seat, was settled in 1872. The county's forests helped make Michigan a leading lumbering state. Farming and the tourist industry are the chief activities. Wild life is abundant.
 
Erected 1958 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number 181.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 43° 53.996′ N, 85° 51.092′ W. Marker is in Baldwin, Michigan, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of East Tenth Street and Michigan Avenue (State Highway 37), on the right when traveling west on East Tenth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 East Tenth Street, Baldwin MI 49304, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brown Trout (approx. 2.8 miles away); Herman & Lela Wilson / Wilson House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Daniel Hale Williams / Williams House (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Island / The Flamingo Club (approx. 3˝ miles away); Idlewild Lot Owners Association (approx. 3.7 miles away); Idlewild (approx. 3.9 miles away); Idlewild Times (approx. 4 miles away); Woodland Park (approx. 12.9 miles away).
 
Lake County Marker and Lake County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 4, 2017
2. Lake County Marker and Lake County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106842

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024