Pulaski in Candler County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Excelsior and its Academy
The Excelsior News (1877) became the first newspaper in Bulloch County and also served people in neighboring areas. Olliff’s General Store on the outskirts of town was another community staple. After nearby areas grew due to railroad construction in the early 1900s, they siphoned off the population of Excelsior. The academy became a primary school in a sparsely populated town.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 32° 18.817′ N, 81° 57.917′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Georgia, in Candler County. Marker is at the intersection of Excelsior Church Road (County Route 49) and Dutch Ford Road (County Route 195), on the left when traveling south on Excelsior Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski GA 30451, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 4½ miles away); Pulaski, Georgia (approx. 5.3 miles away); Croatan Indian Community (approx. 5½ miles away); Register, Georgia (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named Old Sunbury Road (approx. 8 miles away); Candler County Courthouse (approx. 8.1 miles away); Candler County (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Regarding Excelsior and its Academy. Candler County was founded in 1914 and included part of what was then Bulloch County.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.