East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells
On May 3, 1996, the bells of Beaumont Tower rang again after having been silenced by wear and tear since 1987. Spartans everywhere rejoiced. In July 1995, the MSU Board of Trustees approved a renovation plan for the tower and carillon.
A gift from John W. and Alice B. Beaumont, the tower was dedicated in 1929 when MSU President Peter McPherson's grandfather, Melville, was on the Michigan State College governing board. John Beaumont, a Michigan State alumnus, was a professor at the Detroit College of Law in the late 1800's. John Donaldson was the architect and Lee Lawrie the sculptor of the original tower.
The restoration project included renovation of the carillon mechanism, replacement of 20 of the 47 bells to match the shape and tonal quality of the originals, the addition of 2 new bells, partial automation of the clock, the Westminster chimes, and the tower structure.
With this restoration, the bells of Beaumont again serve as a source of inspiration and unity to the MSU community for generations to come.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 3, 1996.
Location. 42° 43.919′ N, 84° 28.94′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from West Circle Drive 0.2 miles east of Kalamazoo Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 375 West Circle Drive, East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan State University (here, next to this marker); Sleepy Hollow (within shouting distance of this marker); Dora Hall Stockman (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University (about 600 feet away); Women's Building (about 600 feet away); Botanical Laboratory (about 700 feet away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (about 700 feet away); Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Also see . . . Beaumont Tower. Wikipedia article (Submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.