Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hemphill in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Hemphill

 
 
First Baptist Church of Hemphill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
1. First Baptist Church of Hemphill Marker
Inscription.  The First Baptist Church of Hemphill has served the community since 1858, when Hemphill was organized. A number families from other states settled Hemphill at that time, including the five families that established the church. The organizing members were the Simon and Mary Ann Beckom Family, the John and Ann Everett Family, the Cannon and Sophronia Travis Family, the Richard and Rutha Travis Family and Henry and Mary White Family. They first met in a residence before holding services at the old Housen Bayou School Building. E.S. Phelps and W.C. Southwell were the first pastors for the congregation.

Hemphill and in 1886, construction began on a building. New sanctuaries replaced preceding ones in 1910, 1962 and 1984 to accommodate the growing congregation.

Since its establishment, the church has provided spiritually and physically for residents of Hemphill. Members have generously contributed necessities and given food baskets to needy individuals and families in the community. The church has also focused on programs to aid the elderly, education of children and youth, and mission work. Today, First Baptist Church continues
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to be an important leader in the community, serving as a spiritual beacon for residents of Hemphill.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14318.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 31° 20.514′ N, 93° 50.863′ W. Marker is in Hemphill, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is at the intersection of Mann Street (State Highway 87) and Main Street (State Highway 184), on the left when traveling south on Mann Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Mann St, Hemphill TX 75948, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pratt (within shouting distance of this marker); Sabine County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sabine County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Sabine County (about 500 feet away); Hemphill (about 600 feet away); Sabine County Jail (about 600 feet away); William F. and Bertha Sutor Goodrich House (about 700 feet away); Hemphill Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hemphill.
 
Also see . . .  First Baptist Church of Hemphill, Texas. (Submitted on August 17, 2017.)
 
First Baptist Church of Hemphill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
2. First Baptist Church of Hemphill Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107128

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 6, 2023