Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell
The first Blendon Presbyterian Church was located at the intersection of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads on what is part of Blendon Central Cemetery. Timothy Lee (1785-1862) donated land at the northeast corner for a church and cemetery. The church was dedicated on December 6, 1829, but it burned that same night under suspicious circumstances. Following the fire, the congregation’s members built another edifice on “Phelps Acre,” across Hempstead Road and so named for benefactor Edward Phelps. Sr. (1759-1840). The congregation held services there from 1830 to 1865. It was believed that the church was finally abandoned and dismantled piecemeal after the Central College Presbyterian Church was finished in 1870.
In 2014, the Blendon Township Trustees used ground penetrating radar to locate the Blendon Presbyterian Church on Phelps Acre. Investigators discovered the church’s foundation at a depth of four inches below grade and extending to a depth of 12-18 inches. The foundation consists of bricks, rocks and fieldstone. Three corner stones were discovered and are displayed along with bricks marking
Erected 2016 by Blendon Township Trustees, The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number OHS 122- 2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 5.703′ N, 82° 54.349′ W. Marker is near Westerville, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on South Hempstead Road near Dempsey Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Phelps Acre Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3732 Dempsey Road, Westerville OH 43081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Phelps Acre Park (here, next to this marker); Blendon Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Edward Phelps (within shouting distance of this marker); First Blendon Presbyterian Church (within shouting Blendon Central Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blendon Township War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Blendon Church Bell (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Ellsworth Chapel (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westerville.
More about this marker. Note: this marker was originally installed across the road in Central Cemetery
Note: this marker, and “First Jain Temple in Central Ohio”, are both numbered 122- 25
Note: this marker is not to be confused with OHS #10- 25, #6- 25, #4- 25,or #3- 25
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.