Muskegon in Muskegon County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This three-story wood frame building is one of Michigan’s most splendid examples of Queen Anne architecture. With juxtaposition of masses created by roof lines, chimneys, tower and porte-cochere it has become a symbol of Muskegon. Fifteen stained glass windows add to the elegance of the structure, and the interior decoration includes hand-stenciled walls and ceilings, carved woodwork and seven tiled fireplaces. The house is testimony to Hackley’s wealth, and to an era when Muskegon was known as the “Lumber Queen of the World.”
Charles H. Hackley (1837 – 1905) came to Muskegon in 1857. Though he had only $7 when he arrived, he was worth $12 million at the time of his death. He made his fortune in lumber, and when lumber declined, he administered the Chamber of Commerce program that rebuilt Muskegon into a center of industry. His gifts and endowments to the community totaled over $6 million and supported parks, statuary, schools, local churches, a hospital and a public library.
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L58.)
Topics and series. Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 43° 13.893′ N, 86° 15.323′ W. Marker is in Muskegon, Michigan, in Muskegon County. Marker is at the intersection of West Webster Avenue and Sixth Street, on the right when traveling west on West Webster Avenue. Marker located on lawn in front of the Hackley House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 484 West Webster Avenue, Muskegon MI 49440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hume House (a few steps from this marker); Hackley-Holt House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Torrent House (approx. ¼ mile away); Buster Keaton (approx. ¼ mile away); Hackley Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Central United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Muskegon Women's Club (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muskegon.
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. The Hackley House.
This site includes the Queen Anne style Victorian homes of Muskegon Lumber Barons Charles Hackley and Thomas Hume. The Hackley House, interpreted to 1890, shows what life was like for one of Muskegon’s most well-known citizens. (Submitted on August 19, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Charles Hackley.
One of Michigan’s spectacular rags-to-riches millionaires, lumberman Charles Hackley Born in Michigan City, Indiana in 1837, young Charles left high school at age 15 first to build roads and then to work in the newly developing lumber industry of western Michigan. As a teenager and young adult, he learned saw milling and the buying and selling of pine trees first hand. By the 1870s, he had his own company and during the 1880s his mills produced an average of 30 million board feet per year, which helped make Michigan the top lumber state in the nation. (Submitted on August 19, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Biography: Charles Hackley.
On April 17, 1856, Charles arrived at Muskegon on the schooner Challenge, having worked his passage across Lake Michigan. He was employed that same day by the firm of Durkee, Truesdell and company as a laborer. The agreement with Charles was that he would be paid according to the value of his services. When paid, (Submitted on August 19, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 19, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.