Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coker in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Coker Baptist Church

 
 
Coker Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 25, 2017
1. Coker Baptist Church Marker
Pole is directly behind marker. Marker is sitting on ground.
Inscription.  Constituted as Big Creek Baptist Church on July 22, 1820 by Daniel Brown and Thomas Baines (ancestor of President Lyndon B. Johnson) with Phillip May as first pastor, Joseph Barrett and Charles Pate as first deacons. As the third oldest church in county, it was one of 13 organizing the Tuscaloosa Baptist Association in 1834. Prior to 1864 church records show 148 slaves as members. First located adjacent to Bluff Branch School and Meetinghouse, next to Big Creek Cemetery; moved to its present site in 1944. Name changed to Coker Baptist in 1956. Setting of the marker in July 1995 commemorates 175th Anniversary of the Church.
 
Erected 1995 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 22, 1820.
 
Location. 33° 14.655′ N, 87° 41.127′ W. Marker is in Coker, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Romulus Road and Louise Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14608 Romulus Road, Coker AL 35452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Coker Baptist Church Marker leaning against church wall, next to mounting pole. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 25, 2017
2. Coker Baptist Church Marker leaning against church wall, next to mounting pole.
Click or scan to see
this page online
7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coker Community Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Northport First United Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Shirley Place (approx. 6.4 miles away); Stillman College (approx. 6.6 miles away); Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge / Bridging The Black Warrior River (approx. 6.8 miles away); The M & O Railroad Trestle (approx. 6.8 miles away); “The Indian Fires Are Going Out” (approx. 6.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker appears to have been purposely removed, it is leaning against the church behind a bush next to the marker mounting pole. Pole and marker are in good condition. Possibly removed due to change in name of the church from Coker Baptist Church to Valley Church.
 
Valley Church, formerly Coker Baptist Church. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 25, 2017
3. Valley Church, formerly Coker Baptist Church.
Marker can be seen in foreground corner of church behind bushes.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107529

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 14, 2022