Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Courthouse Arboretum

 
 
The Courthouse Arboretum Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
1. The Courthouse Arboretum Marker
Inscription.  In 1895, Dr. Orville Blanton, son of Harriet Blanton Theobald, "the Mother of Greenville," designed and planted an arboretum on the grounds of the Washington County courthouse featuring native specimens. The Greenville Garden Club, recognized as the state's first garden club, has served as curator since 1948.
 
Erected 2003 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & ForestryNotable Places. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
 
Location. 33° 24.42′ N, 91° 3.158′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and North Edison Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Avenue. Located on the grounds of the Washington County Chancery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 923 Washington Avenue, Greenville MS 38701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County Courthouse (within shouting distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); Washington County Confederate Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walker Percy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shelby Foote (approx. 0.2 miles away); The King's Daughters Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nelson Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hebrew Union Congregation (approx. half a mile away); Greenville (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
Regarding The Courthouse Arboretum. The original courthouse was burned by Union troops during the Civil War and replaced in 1890 with a structure comprised primarily of Illinois brownstone. Its original planners were avid conservationists and landscaped the grounds with a variety of trees indigenous to the area, creating the Courthouse Arboretum.
 
The Courthouse Arboretum Marker near the Washington County Chancery. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
2. The Courthouse Arboretum Marker near the Washington County Chancery.
Nearby monument on the 'History of the Washington County Arboretum'. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
3. Nearby monument on the 'History of the Washington County Arboretum'.
View from marker at intersection of Washington Avenue and Nelson Street. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
4. View from marker at intersection of Washington Avenue and Nelson Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107628

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024