Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Washington County Courthouse

 
 
Washington County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
1. Washington County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  This courthouse was built ca. 1891 in the Richardson Romanesque architectural style. The courthouse was remodeled in 1930, and additions were made in 1950 and 1976. The courthouse has retained many of the original elements of its architectural style, including stone arches and rock-faced rusticated walls.
 
Erected 2007 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
 
Location. 33° 24.449′ N, 91° 3.179′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is on South Washington Avenue west of North Edison Street, on the right when traveling west. Located on the grounds of the Washington County Chancery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 South Washington Avenue, Greenville MS 38701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Courthouse Arboretum (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker Percy (approx.
Washington County Courthouse with marker in foreground. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
2. Washington County Courthouse with marker in foreground.
¼ mile away); Shelby Foote (approx. ¼ mile away); The King's Daughters Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nelson Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hebrew Union Congregation (approx. half a mile away); First United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Washington County Courthouse. (Submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
View towards North Harvey Street and the Confederate monument on left. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2017
3. View towards North Harvey Street and the Confederate monument on left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Dec. 4, 2020