Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Kenbridge in Lunenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
1. St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Three miles west stood St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church of Cumberland Parish. Bishop William Meade consecrated the building, later known as St. Johnís Woodend, in 1832. The Rev. Charles C. Taliaferro was its first minister. The churchís predecessor, Flat Rock Church, had been built by 1760. With its recessed entrance and low church chancel arrangement, St. Johnís reflected the distinctive style of church architecture then popular in Virginia. The congregation dispersed by 1963. The legacy of parish records, communion silver, stained glass windows, and stewardship of the cemetery passed to the Episcopal Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, in Kenbridge.
 
Erected 2014 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SN-68.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
 
Location. 36° 52.746′ N, 78° 4.995′ W. Marker is near Kenbridge, Virginia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Lunenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of South Hill Road (Virginia Route 138) and Brickland Road (County Route 613), on the left when traveling south on South Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenbridge VA 23944, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Johnís Church (approx. 6 miles away); Craig's Mill (approx. 6.1 miles away); Town of Kenbridge (approx. 6.1 miles away); Kennedy's Store ca. 1908 (approx. 6.2 miles away); Danieltown (approx. 7 miles away); The Glebe of Cumberland Parish (approx. 7.6 miles away); Saint Paulís Chapel School (approx. 7.8 miles away); Brunswick County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenbridge.
 
St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
2. St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Old photos of the church • Photos of the cemetery • Photos of the stained glass windows, now at the Kenbridge parish hall • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107697

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024