Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near McKenney in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Origins of 4-H in Virginia

 
 
Origins of 4-H in Virginia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
1. Origins of 4-H in Virginia Marker
Inscription.  F. Southall Farrar, farm demonstration agent for Southside Virginia, organized the state’s first corn clubs for boys in 1909. Such clubs, a feature of the nation’s emerging agricultural extension movement, had originated in the Midwest to promote progresstve farming methods and improve rural life. Farrar’s initial recruits, 100 Dinwiddie and Chesterfield County boys, each grew one acre of corn and, on average, outproduced local farms by more than three times. In 1910 Ella Agnew established the first canning clubs for Virginia girls. By the early 1920s, these organizations for children, administered by Virginia Cooperative Extension after 1914, evolved into 4-H clubs.
 
Erected 2014 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S-86.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included in the 4-H Youth Program, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 36° 59.643′ N, 77° 46.221′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near McKenney, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is at the intersection of McKenney Highway (Virginia Route 40) and Old White Oak Road (County Route 610), on the right when traveling west on McKenney Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Kenney VA 23872, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of Roger Atkinson Pryor (a few steps from this marker); Brunswick County, Virginia (approx. 4 miles away); Birch's Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Dinwiddie County / Brunswick County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Darvills School (approx. 5 miles away); Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley (1818-1907) (approx. 5˝ miles away); Sapony Episcopal Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Butterwood Chapel (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKenney.
 
Also see . . .  4-H History. “Lizzie A. Jenkins was appointed in May, 1913, at Hampton Institute, to begin demonstration work with African American families. Her assignment was to organize and conduct canning programs and organize canning clubs among African American girls in the counties of southeast Virginia. The first club work with African American boys in the Commonwealth began in 1915 at a meeting of African American agents at Hampton Institute. Field staff agent Jessie M. Jones presided at this meeting.”
Origins of 4-H in Virginia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
2. Origins of 4-H in Virginia Marker
(Submitted on August 31, 2017.) 
 
4-H Emblem image. Click for full size.
the U.S. Government
3. 4-H Emblem
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107770

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024