Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Howell in Livingston County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

County Courthouse

Registered Michigan Historic Site

 
 
County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Joel Seewald, August 26, 2017
1. County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Albert E. French designed this two-and-a-half story brick and stone building. This edifice, completed in 1890, shows influence of Richardsonian architecture and has maintained many of its original Victorian furnishings. Peter and Maria Cowdry donated the land for the courthouse square with the provision that it revert to their heirs if no longer used for a courthouse. Local citizens presented the clock to the county as a gift. The people of Livingston County voted in 1976 to restore their courthouse which is an area landmark.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L391.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 42° 36.433′ N, 83° 55.678′ W. Marker is in Howell, Michigan, in Livingston County. It is at the intersection of East Grand River Avenue (Business Interstate 96) and North State Street, on the right when traveling west on East Grand River Avenue. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Grand River Avenue, Howell MI 48843, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Michigan and in Greater Detroit. It is also in the American Midwest and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Northwest Territory.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Livingston County WWI Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Livingston County Veterans Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); National Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Livingston County Press (about 500 feet away); Opera House (about 700 feet away); Ann Arbor Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Livingston Co. Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howell Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Howell.
 
Also see . . .  Livingston County Courthouse. The Livingston County Courthouse was placed
County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Joel Seewald, August 26, 2017
2. County Courthouse Marker
Marker is on the southeast corner of the building.
on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. An excerpt from the Nomination Form:
The Livingston County Courthouse is architecturally significant as a representative late-nineteenth-century building. It is not as elegant in its design or appointments as many other public facilities of the period, nor is it as function-oriented as structures of the immediately subsequent era. The building has also served as a visual and social anchor in Howell since its construction as well as the county's political center. The recent campaign to save the structure was the first major preservation effort in Livingston County....

The origins of the present building date to the early 1880s, when county officials realized that the existing courthouse, though relatively new, was inadequate to the county's needs. Office space in nearby stores had been rented and prisoners were housed at the county jail in neighboring Shiawassee County. The Board of Commissioners formed a building committee, which considered the deficiencies of the existing building and also visited newer courthouses in other counties. The committee's recommendation fora new facility
Paid Advertisement
on courthouse square was approved by voters in April, 1889, and in June of that year Albert E. French, a Detroit architect, was engaged to design it. In August the cornerstone was laid in a ceremony led by former Governor Russell A. Alger. The building was completed for use the next year, and has housed county offices ever since.
(Submitted on July 28, 2025, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2025. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
m=107800

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2026