Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Bunker Hill / Dog Town

 
 
Bunker Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 29, 2017
1. Bunker Hill Marker
Inscription.  
Bunker Hill
The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major business here. A Post Office was established in 1852. A Universalist church was dedicated in 1855. During the Civil War, the Peace Democrats, called Copperheads, were active in this area. Ohio Congressman Clarence Vallandingham, future Peace Democrat leader, campaigned here in 1860 and a traditional Democratic Party pole raising was held here in 1863. Coopers, cobblers, blacksmiths, wagon shops, saddlers, a sorghum mill, a huckster (traveling sales- man), a photographer, a clothes pin factory, a band, a music teacher, and a baseball team were here during the 19th century. The Post Office closed in 1906. By 1912, the church had closed.

Dog Town
Thomas Burk Sr purchased a quarter section of federal land here in 1804. A school house was erected on this purchase in 1809. That same year, a road was built on Indian Creek west of this marker. Obadiah Welliver opened a tavern on his purchase in 1812.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Burk sold his grist mill in 1818 and it is thought that the hamlet around this mill was called Dogtown because of a vicious dogfight there. In 1825, Reily Post Office was established at Welliver’s Tavern. That year a woolen mill with textile production machinery was built by Elias Sayres, near the sawmill. Multi-millionaire Elias Jackson (“Lucky”) Baldwin (1828-1909), the founder of Santa Anita Racetrack near Los Angeles, was born here.
 
Erected 2013 by LCNB National Bank Wm. E. Smith Charitable Trust Reilly Township Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 31-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, the Postal Mail and Philately, and the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series lists.
 
Location. 39° 25.081′ N, 84° 43.496′ W. Marker is near Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Reily Millville Rd (County Route 29), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5113 Reily Millville Rd, Hamilton OH 45013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bunker Hill Universalist Church/Bunker Hill Cemetery
Dog Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 29, 2017
2. Dog Town Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Lewis-Sample Farmstead / Butler County's American Indian Heritage (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bethel Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Stillwell Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Stillwell’s Corners (approx. 3.4 miles away); Indian Creek Regular Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Indian Creek Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
Bunker Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 29, 2017
3. Bunker Hill Marker
full view Side A
Bunker Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 29, 2017
4. Bunker Hill Marker
full view Side B
Bunker Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 29, 2017
5. Bunker Hill Marker
marker as seen from a distance, looking west on Reily Millville Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107801

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024