Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumberland Township near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Black Horse Tavern

 
 
The Black Horse Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
1. The Black Horse Tavern Marker
Inscription.  At the time of the battle of Gettysburg this was the name of the tavern kept in this stone house which was built in 1813 and in a large log house much of older date then adjoining.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 39° 49.119′ N, 77° 17.025′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. It is in Cumberland Township. Marker is at the intersection of Fairfield Road (State Highway 116) and Black Horse Tavern Road, on the right when traveling west on Fairfield Road. Located in front of the historic Black Horse Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 796 Black Horse Tavern Rd, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Francis Bream Black Horse Tavern (here, next to this marker); McLaws's and Pickett's Divisions (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Adam Butt Farm & Schoolhouse
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Christian Byers Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sachs Covered Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); "…the most historic covered bridge in Pennyslvania…" (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
McLaws's and Pickett's Divisions Tablet and Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain
2. McLaws's and Pickett's Divisions Tablet and Tavern Marker
The Black Horse Tavern Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
3. The Black Horse Tavern Building
Barn Beside the Tavern Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
4. Barn Beside the Tavern Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,614 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10793

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024