Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baker City in Baker County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Telephone Exchange

Baker City Historic District

— Established 1874 —

 
 
The Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2017
1. The Telephone Exchange Marker
Inscription.  Hand-cranked telephones first rang in Baker City in 1889. Not until 1898, however, did a company succeed in establishing 24-hour, central exchange service. When inaugurated, the system had 40 subscribers and one operator on duty.
The first exchange was in the Wisdom Drug Store at the southwest corner of Main Street and Valley Avenue.
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph (later to become Pacific Northwest Bell) acquired the system in 1900. In 1910, the company built this building for its exchange and offices.
The telephone company moved in 1954, and the building remained vacant for many years. It was renovated as a restaurant in the 1970s.
 
Erected by Historic Baker City, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
 
Location. 44° 46.604′ N, 117° 49.849′ W. Marker is in Baker City, Oregon, in Baker County. Marker is on 1st Street near Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1926 1st Street, Baker City OR 97814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rogers Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Antlers Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller Apartment Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Smoke Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's Lunch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Shoemaker Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Haskell Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baker City.
 
The Telephone Exchange and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2017
2. The Telephone Exchange and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=108195

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024