Baker City in Baker County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Baker City Historic District
— Established 1874 —
The Jett Building was the first in Baker City of volcanic tuff construction. Ten commercial or public buildings, and several houses, were built of this distinctive durable stone during the early years of the 20th Century. The tuff came from Jett’s Quartz Quarry 12 miles east of town.
Jett, who immigrated to Baker County with his brother in 1871, founded his marble works in 1886. He was elected county treasurer in the 1890s. The east side of the ground floor of the building originally housed a grocery and feed store. The Jett family occupied the second floor.
Erected by Historic Baker City, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 44° 46.525′ N, 117° 49.854′ W. Marker is in Baker City, Oregon, in Baker County. Marker is at the intersection of Valley Avenue and 1st Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1998 Valley Avenue, Baker City OR 97814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flynn Building (within shouting distance of this marker); YMCA Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Shoemaker Building (within shouting distance of this marker); J.C. Penney Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Weller-Henry Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mann Block (about 300 feet away); Alfred Block (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baker City.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.